Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's Finished

Now that we are finally in Avon I am really lazy and don't want to post. Can you blame me? Anyway, finishing the trip was very awesome. Shannon's back had been bothering her for the last two days but as we closed in on our destination I could tell that her adrenaline was kicking in because we started picking up the pace. As familiar landmarks started popping up I got very excited. This excitement was coupled with a bit of anxiousness because I knew the waves coming into the beach were going to be an issue. We managed to pick a very rough day but we had no choice but to finish. I decided to go first so if I did something really stupid or something crazy happened, at least Shannon would know not to do what I just did. The wave swells off shore do not really give a good idea of how big the wave will be as it crashes so when I went I had no clue what was going to be behind me when I came in. I was lucky to get a small wave but Shannon was not so lucky in her wave choice. I started riding the wave in but ended up turning left across the wave and heading towards the jetti. I tried turning right but it wasn't happening so I bailed. The boat stopped short of the rocks and the lifeguards grabbed it as I walked over to them to grab my boat and pull it up to meet the roaring crowd of family members and random onlookers. Once I was safely ashore I turned to watch Shannon. Oi... Shannon got stuck between two giant waves and bailed before the second crashed. Unfortunately for the Sea Steak, once Shannon was out of the boat there was no weight in the boat and it was completely in the waves mercy (and the wave was not merciful). The boat's end was crunched and the rudder was snapped off as the wave's weight drove the poor Sea Steak into the sand. Shannon made it alright which was great and no one really cared about the Sea Steak until after all the pictures were taken. Hopefully Ron will be able to help Shannon out!

Avon has been so relaxing and today we are headed to Cranford to see our grandparents! Pictures are coming soon on Picasa and a little later on Facebook. It has been kinda interesting trying to accumulate all the pictures from different people but we are almost done! Can't wait to see everyone in Michigan!

-Jay

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your adventure. I've enjoyed reading your blogs and anxious to see your pictures. So very thankful that you arrived safely.

    Paulette McAuley

    ReplyDelete